Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Jessica strikes again

This is one awesome story... I was at my in-laws church in Utah. I went out with Colby and saw a teenager sitting in the hall with a infant carrier and a baby doll inside. I said, "Oh, you almost got me. It looks real." (Thinking she is probably out with her kid sister, and this is the sister's doll.) She kind of snarled at me and I wondered what her deal was.

Later, I see her rubbing the doll, rocking the carrier, and treating the baby as if it were alive. I just thought- "Oh, no. This poor girl is schizophrenic or something, and I just offended her." I start looking closer and see a medical bracelet on her arm. "She is all alone with this doll. I bet no one treats her nice and she is treated as an outsider."

So... being the whacky girl that I am, I sat next to her and made conversation.

me: "I'm sorry for what I said earlier."
her:"Its ok, I get it all the time."
me: holding back all issues of weirdness..."Hi, there, cutie!...What is your baby's name?"

Then I get this look like I am the stupidest person in the world...

her: "It's a DOLL!"
me: Now, I am confused. I knew it was a doll. But I didn't think she knew it was a doll. She is saying this as she is gently stroking his head. "Oh, well, you were just taking such good care of him, that I wasn't sure."

Then came the kicker...
her: "It's for child development class. This bracelet has a sensor and the baby cries if you don't do all the things it needs."
me: "Uh...um...well... looks like you are doing a great job!"

It made for a great dinner time story. The best part ever was knowing it was a baby doll, but acting like I also thought it was a real baby- and cooing and talking to him like both of us have babies that we are entertaining in the hallway, like all good moms do.

I told you it was a good story.