Sunday, September 28, 2008

I love my job!

I was recently thinking what life would be like if Rhet and I switched places. He is such a great dad and I know he would do a good job with the kids. I am smart (well, used to be before the kids sucked away my brain in utero. I got a few shocked faces when someone saw I graduated summa cum laude from Florida State- now it is all just fuzzy up there), but am sure over time I could tackle his reports and schooling.

However, I think there would be a few hang-ups to this switch.
If Rhet were to take over the kids schooling and care:
*The kids would get fed... but it would be pancakes, cereal, or speghetti everynight.
*The kids would be dressed for church.... but hair would be in knots and they might be in their play clothes/dress-up dresses.
*The kids would have fun... but the house would be a wreck!
*The kids would enjoy creating and exploring... but their "formal" education and schedule would get slided for the idea that McDonald's playland is investigating space, gravity, how the body moves, and friction.

And if I were to take over his dental practice:
*The clients would get their teeth in... but I wouldn't take the precision and time to do all the "extra" steps necessary to make them look nice. Does it really matter if I leave the porcelain in the oven an extra 10 minutes? Wouldn't just one of the tools work just fine? If a tooth looks gross, lets just yank it and make a new, fresh pretty one. They might all look like Mr. Wilson's chicklets.
*The clients would get a nice experience (chatting) in the chair... but much would not get accomplished, because I wouldn't understand them with the instruments in their mouths (like Rhet can).
*The clients might get their teeth fixed... but if their mouths are gross, I would have a screwed up and twisted face during the entire process, with my arms outstrectched as far as they could go. Unlike, Rhet, who is all up in their grills.

What am I talking about?
I could NEVER do Rhet's job. He showed me some pictures and it can be the sickest, most unhygenic place I have ever seen. GIVE ME THE POOPY DIAPERS! GIVE ME THE SPILLED ORANGE JUICE! GIVE ME THE WHINING!

I love my job! I get breaks. I get naps. I get to as much time as I want for lunch. I get to color, do arts and crafts, do fun experiments. I get to talk on the phone and check the internet, with no retributions. I get to jump in the car and do errands without scheduling them in. I get to sing (without strange glances). I get to dance (without strange glances). I get to scream (without strange glances, just scared looks:). I get to watch (G-rated) movies in the middle of the day. I get to be the big boss. I get to be with people I LOVE to be with, and not people I am just assigned to. So, I'm so sorry, Rhet- I will never switch with you. I'll just let you borrow my job every now and then.
And just in case (in the unlikely event) that you reading this and are:
#1 a mom
#2 your husband is a dentist and
#3 you were thinking of switching occupations with him

Just let me give you a preview of what smiles you would get to see everyday...








And now see what smiles I get to see everyday...




Any questions?

Leave me a comment and tell me why you love YOUR job.

6 comments:

Aleasha said...

That is totally awesome!!! Thanks for those great uplifting words. Sometimes I forget that greatness of my job but you are totally right. Our job R O C K S!!!!! and I mean it. I LOVE my job and my girls!!!

ps... you looked way cute today in that hot pink dress!!! :)

Lauren in GA said...

Another AWESOME post, girlie!!

You are so right...those sweet smiles you get to look at are so much better than the mouths that Rhett looks at. Rhett is pretty brave!

I love my job because my kiddos make me laugh 'till my sides ache and cry with joy. No other job brings that but, motherhood :)

I second the motion...You looked hot in your hottttt pink dress. I know you don't believe me but you are beautiful pregnant...and not pregnant, too.

Harris Family said...

You make such a good point! Thanks for reminding me of all the things I love about being a stay at home mom. I don't appreciate it or Ryan enough! Hope you are doing well!

Dantzel said...

I agree with the other comments about the reminders of why motherhood is the best thing in the world.

Now I want to know: do the rest of us get to see this illustrious hot pink dress? :)

Alisa Clark said...

Hey Jess, did you get the email i sent to your gmail account? If not, let me know your email add!! Love ya

Tiffany -- the mommy said...

For me this almost made me want to go back to work.... I loved working in the dental office. But I love being at home more with Annabella.... I loved this post and the pictures are priceless! People do have gross mouths sometimes huh!?