Monday, September 8, 2008

What are YOU having for dinner?


So, I was thinking today of what we were going to eat for dinners for this week. There are many requirements that a dish must hold to make it to my list. One day, maybe after the baby is here and adjusted and I'm not tired, the variety will improve. But for now...


1. Can mostly be made sitting on a stool next to the island.
2. 30 minutes or less.
3. Preferably 15 minutes or less prep time.
4. Has to be made from basic ingredients that we have on hand (hamburger, chicken,beans,pasta,rice)
5. Helpful if there is at least one thing that Ben will eat (pasta, rice,no meat, nothing mixed together, no potatoes/vegies noticeable, can't have dairy- yes, including cheese)
6. Don't really like sandwiches.

It was getting hard to think of what we could eat that wasn't exactly the same as what we ate last week (or the one before)

So, here it is. Our meals from last week and this week. Comment and tell me what you remember eating for dinners last week. I'm hoping to make me feel better, not worse- and to get some new ideas. We'll see:)



*Speghetti with meat sauce
*cereal
*pancakes
*Subway
*French Dip sandwiches (super fast. Roast beef on rolls with aus jus dip)
*chicken cattitore with rice (family was not a fan-why did I bother?)
*Breakfast dinner (Pillsbury cinnamon rolls, eggs, hashbrowns, and cinnamon apples)
*cereal or PB and J
*homemade individual pizzas (great cause the kids make them all)

3 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

I know what you mean about Ben...Brian doesn't approve of food even touching let alone have it be mixed in some way...PERISH the thought! ;)

Jannet said...

My kids are the same way. It seems that what one likes, the other won't touch, and forget about eating anything "grown up" around here!
To make you feel better about your menu, here is what we ate this week:
*mandarin chicken salad (except Andy who doesn't eat lettuce, ate pb&j)
*chicken nuggets and mac N cheese
*hamburgers and watermelon (Mike cooked)
*waffles and scrambled eggs
*bbq chkn wraps w/veggie tray
*cereal (kids) Mike and & I ordered pizza after they went to bed.
*chicken noodle soup and grilled cheese sandwiches
On Deck:
*rice a roni and fish sticks
*rotini pasta with italian tomatoes and cheese
*sausage, potatoes, and peppers
*baked apple pancakes with scrambled eggs (Sunday dinner is always breakfast here)

I used to plan a menu of sophisticated three course meals with interesting suaces or ingredients, but I had so many "why did I even bother" nights when they ended up eating cereal because it was "yucky!" I have decided to simplify and become a chef after my kids get old enough to appreciate it.

Dantzel said...

Some easy recipes I've used recently:
--lemon chicken over rice (or on the side, if your kids are like mine)
--15 minute burrito bake (surprisingly everyone over here liked it; the beans weren't obvious)
--marinated chicken over rice (I actually don't marinate; I use our favorite store-bought marinade and bake the chicken with that poured over top)
--Betty Crocker's cheesy chicken dinner that comes in a box. :)

So yeah, those are my ideas at the moment. Love ya!