Sunday, February 15, 2009

Food Storage

Yes, I will be bragging. I have worked hard- so I plan on tooting my own horn. (I keep mentioning it over and over to Rhet, but apparently he isn't as super psyched as I'd like him to be:)
I was always "almost" there with having a year's supply of basics (grains, beans, powdered milk, honey, baking powder/soda, oil, sugar, salt, etc). THEN I would have another child and I wouldn't have enough. THEN the food storage plan changed and so I didn't have the three-month supply of foods we normally eat. THEN I had another child and the numbers were thrown off again.

Well, I'm happy to say I am 22 pineapple cans away from having my three month supply (oh, yes, breakfast, lunch, dinner AND snacks) and 5 (#10) cans of beans away from 7 months of long term storage for 5.5 :) people...dun dun dun dun. For a grand total of 10 months!!!

I used a lot of recipes from Safely Gathered In. And the excel spreadsheets for inventory and grocery lists from Food Storage Made Easy. (Yes, I just did a link. Ever learning. Ever learning. Who would have guessed that that was what that green chainLINK right above the post was for? Duh.)

OK- so I am sure you are sooooo interested in my 3 month menu plan:
Breakfast A rotation of the following:
oatmeal,
cereal,
cereal,
grits,
cereal,
waffles/pancakes,
cereal

Lunch A rotation of the following:
PB&J with peaches
Chicken Salad sandwiches (made with oranges, pineapple, and almonds)
Ramen with pears
Quaesadillas with pineapple
Soup with mandarin oranges
Mac-n-cheese with pears

Dinner A rotation of the following:
Speghetti and green beans
Black beans/rice and corn
Chilli
Breakfast dinner
Bean Burritos with corn
Chicken Taco Soup
Pizza
Porcupine Meatballs with corn
Chicken/Salsa/Rice with green beans
Alfredo with green beans
Tacos with corn
Chinese Sunday
Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken Pot Pie
Ghoulash with you got it, corn

Snacks A rotation of the following:
popcorn
chocolate chip cookies
chips and salsa
applesauce
pumpkin chocolate chip bread
(chocolate makes me a happier person)


Now, I guess it is time to update my 72 hour kits and add some stuff in there for Colbster and put clothes that actually fit my children. (I know, I know, I don't exactly sound pro-children in this post-but they are messing with my plan. Who am I kidding? I'm sure the clothes I have in there for me won't fit, either!

There was a moment that I thought I was DONE...ha ha ha. Done? Ha ha ha.


2 comments:

Tiffany -- the mommy said...

I am so proud of you for your links!!!

leslie coppin said...

Oh Jessica, you're still such a good example to me!!! I've got 6 months of the basic long term but I'm still working on the 3 months. Do you have a stand alone freezer? I was thinking that's the only way I could do it and then I'd need a generator too....hmm. I asked bart the other day to help me figure out what we needed to get 3 months and he didn't sound very interested.
oh, and you'd be so happy for me I took 35 names to the temple for baptisms!!! I love the new.familysearch.org page. it's soooo easy to use. Thanks for getting me started back in the day!!
see ya