Saturday, February 7, 2009

Lou, lou skip to my Lou. Makes more sense now!

We studied England on Friday... and I learned a few things along with the kids.

When you say someone is "British" it doesn't mean they are from England. They could be from anywhere in the UK. It is offensive to say that someone is from "England" when they state they are British. (They could be from Scotland, etc.)
England, Scotland, and Wales make up Great Britain.
England and Wales make up Britain.
England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland make up the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (UK). The rest of Ireland is independent.

Some common British words and their US equivalents. How many do you already know?
bangers=sausages
barking, crackers, daft, nutter=crazy/dumb
biscuit=cookie
blimey=wow
brolley=umbrella
bum=bottom
candy floss=cotton candy
chips=french fries
lou, cloakroom, "spend a penny"=toilet
(Makes it even funnier in the context that Rhet's nickname is "Big Lou")
bog roll=toilet paper
conk=nose
flat=apartment
soccer=football
jolly=very
knickers, pants=underwear
lift=elevator
manky=dirty
mum=mom
pudding=dessert
purse=wallet
handbag=purse
rubbish=trash
wash up=dishes only, not wash your hands
washing=laundry
crisps=potato chips
dummy=pacifier
nappy=diaper
chinwag=chat
tea= dinner when a smaller meal
supper=biggest meal of day (could be lunch)

So, I'm off to the lou after I wash up and take out the rubbish. Tomorrow I'm going to telly my mum and invite her to some bangers and mash for tea. We'll have a jolly pudding of candy floss and buiscuts after we chinwag about all of the nutter things the children have done with their nappies and dummies. What manky smells those trifle 'ole things can make for my conk! Thank goodness they soon will all be in knickers! Blimey, the time goes fast. I'll meet you for fish and chips at the pub as soon as they fix my lift at the flat. Love to you all, my cracker friends. Cheerio!



1 comment:

Harris Family said...

Thanks for the lesson-I love learning the vocabulary of other countries! It's very interesting-we seem so boring with the words we use!